It's still pretty hot here during the day, and I find myself dozing off a lot. I have to mentally slap myself around a bit to get some motivation going.
Which brings us to the word that is the subject of this post: やる気 (yaruki やるき). やる気 means 'the will to do' something. It could also be translated as 'be motivated to do' something. It's a noun that combines the verb やる, to do, and 気, feeling or emotion.
やる気がある （やるきがある yaruki ga aru) = (you, or the subject of the sentence) has the will to do something
- 今日はやる気があるから、勉強がはかどる。 (きょうはやるきがあるから、べんきょうがはかどる kyou wa yaruki ga aru kara, benkyou ga hakadoru.
- Because I'm motivated today, my studying is going well.
When used as a question, the meaning changes a bit, to "do you want to do (something)?"
- アルバイトやる気がある？ （あるばいとやるきがある？ arubaito yaruki ga aru?) -- Do you want to work part time (or take that part time job?) (see more about arubaito)
やる気がない (やるきがない yaruki ga nai) - (you, or the subject of the sentence) doesn't have the will or desire to do something/can't get up the motivation to do something.
- 今日は暑すぎて、何にもやる気がない。(きょうはあつすぎて、なにもやるきがない。 kyou wa atsusugite, nani mo yaru ki ga nai) -- It's too hot today, I don't have the will to do anything.
やる気を出す (やるきをだす yaruki o dasu) - (you, or the subject of the sentence) gets (or attempts to get) motivated.
- やる気を出して、ジョッギングする。(やるきをだして、じょっぎんぐする yaruki o dashite, joggingu suru)
- (I will) get my ass in gear and go jogging.
やる気が出ない （やるきがでない yaruki ga denai）- (you, or the subject of the sentence) can't get the motivation going to do something.
- 作文を提出しなければいけないのだけど、なぜかやる気が出ない。（さくぶんをていしゅつしなければいけないのだけど、なぜかやるきがでない。 sakubun o teishutsu shinakereba ikenai no dakedo, nazeka yaruki ga denai）
- I have to hand in an essay, but for some reason I can't get motivated.
やる気 is a difficult thing, if you lose it or can't get it going.
Which brings me to the subject of this blog. I haven't really been updating it properly for a while now, partly because I have been really busy, but I am now officially going to take a break. There are plenty of good resources out there for learning Japanese online, and I don't think I have the 時間 (じかん jikan - time）or やる気 to get this site up to being a full fledged learning resource. I may relaunch it as a kind of commentary blog with some language thrown in - which it sort of is anyway. I have also been thinking about a full Japanese blog - if I decide to do that, I may just not have the time for the commentary with Japanese blog. We'll see.
In the meantime though, it's going on a break for a couple of months. If you want to be informed of its status, please follow me on Twitter, where I'll continue tweeting in Japanese sporadically. And my bento and food sites will continue as normal, sort of. I have a big deadline to meet in a few weeks also...which I'll explain somewhere eventually.